Osamu Giovanni Micico
Born in Tokyo in 1982. Osamu Giovanni is a classically trained professional figurative painter. Started his professional career internationally in the Sacred art for the churches and the private clients, he now creates variety of works in narrative compositions, portraits, still lives and landscapes. Regardless of whether or not those works portray sacred themes, all of his works aspire to become sacred. This means they yearn to serve as doorways opening onto the unending revelation of divine mistery, which they invite the spectator to witness.Micico is a “Gospel painter” in that sense no matter what subjects he tackles.
He stands in the midst of our globalized society from the East to the West from the South to the North only to find what is above and within the people. He is a humanist and believes that art can bridge the hearts of people and make us find ourselves under the eyes and arms of the one merciful Father.
He is dedicated also to recover the great tradition of the classical art; still now he continues to learn and teach. He had such amazing opportunities to study with the international masters such as Sergey Chubirko and Yimaukun who both followed the current of the Russian Academic tradition which had originated from the Renaissance, Florence, Italy. He believes that there are some knowledge of these great traditions which need to be practiced and passed on to the next generation. Having taught at the Sacred Art School of Florence between 2013 and 2017, he has opened his own sacred art workshop, where he also teaches, always in the capital of Tuscany.
In his public works, as the Renaissance masters were in Italy, he also designs 3 dimensional works such as niches, crown etc beyond the paintings and drawings. There are many of his works in public collections all over the world including, “Return of the Prodigal Son” in the Diocese of Carpi, Italy, The same work in drawing at the St. Vincent College in Latrobe, United States, “The Annunciation” Sonshang Catholic Church in Taipei, Taiwan. “Holy Mother of Sorrow and Hope” in Urakami Cathedral in Nagasaki, Japan.
His works have been exhibited and in private collection all over the world; in Italy, France, United States, Taiwan, China, Japan and more. His coming solo exhibition will be in Taipei in 2020.
- 2010 – 2014 Diploma in Fine Arts Majoring in Painting and Drawing, Russian Academy of Art. Florence, Italy.
- 2008 – 2010 Bachelor Degree in Art Restoration, Lorenzo de’ Medici – Marist College. Florence, Italy.
- - 2008 Varied art lessons
Selected Solo Exhibition
- 2020 Jimmy’s gallery, Taipei, Taiwan. June.
- 2018 “Da Firenze” Le Simone_CoWorking/Café, Lyon, France. June, July.
- 2015 “Conversion” Cloister of the Basilica Santissima Annunziata in Florence, Italy. November.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2018 “L’Arte si Mostra”. Palazzo Ferrajoli, Rome. Dicember.
Twin city Modern Art Exhibition. Centro Congressi al Duomo, Florence, Italy.
Twin city Modern Art Exhibition. Meibo Artcenter, Shanghai, China. April.
- 2017 The 4th Meeting of Catholic Journalists, Sala Kursaal, Grottamare, Italy.
“Festa Cultura San Giovanni Battista” Palazzo Rosselli del Turco, Florence.
- 2016 “In Una Carne, Il Senso del Corpo” Museo di Opera del Duomo. Florence.
“6th Nationwide Juried Catholic Arts Exhibition”, St. Vincent Gallery. Latrobe, PA, United States. October to December.
“Rebirth of Figurative Sacred Art” Collective exhibition. Fortezza Vecchia, Livorno, Italy. September.
The 3rd Meeting of Catholic Journalists, Sala Kursaal, Grottamare, Italy. June.
- 2015 The 1st Russian Academy of Art collective exhibition of Alumni and Faculties. Palazzo Medici Riccardi. Florence, Italy. Dicember.
“Ti chiamo per nome” Oratorio di San Filippo Neri. Florence. May.
“Relax/ Art in the Park” The limonaia of the Stibbert Museum. Florence. May.
“Tribute to Shakespeare”. The British Institute of Florence, Italy. April.
- 2014 “Russian Portraits” presented by La ProLoco di Tavarnelle Val di Pesa, at Il Palazzo Consiliare , Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. Italia. Dec-Jan.
“Pictura Ut Pictura”. Officina della Memoria e dell' Immagine, Fiuggi, Italy. July
University of Fribourg, Switzerland, June.
Student exhibition of the Russian Academy of Art in Florence. Ital
- 2012 Student exhibition of the Russian Academy of Art in Florence. Italy.
- 2009 Santa Reparata International Art School, Florence, Italy.
“City–Wide Art VIII” St. James Church, Florence, Italy.
- 2008 “City–Wide Art VII” St. James Church, Florence, Italy. 2008.
- 2018 “L’Arte si Mostra” il catalog. Casa Editorice Pagine.
“La corporeita’ nell’arte sacra cristiana” Mandragora. p.19. p21.
- 2017 Arte e Artisti Comtemporanei, 78, Casa Editorice Pagine.
- 2016 “In Una Carne, il Senso del Corpo” Exhibition catalog at the Grande Museo dell Duomo in Florence. Italy.
“Rebirth of Figurative Sacred Art” Exhibition catalog at Fortezza Vecchia in Livorno, Italy.
- 2015 “The Making of a Catholic Painter” ,Regina Magazine Vol.15, “The Secret Catholic Insider, Guide to Italy”
Selected Public Collections
- 2019 “Sorrowful Mother in Hope” Urakami Cathedral, Nagasaki, Japan.
- 2018 “Ritratto di Donna” Meibo Art Center, Shanghai, China
“The Annunciation” Songshang Catholic Church, Taipei, Taiwan.
“Sorrowful Mother in Hope” Nagasaki, Japan.
- 2017 “The Return of the Prodigal Son”(Drawing) St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 2016 “Unexpected Feast (St. Francis and the friar)” Convent of St. Francis, Fiesole, Tuscany, Italy.
- 2015“The Return of the Prodigal Son” (painting), Carpi, Modena, Italy.
- 2016“Rebirth of the Figurative Sacred Art” Fortezza Vecchia, Livorno, Italy.
- 2018 – present La Bottega del’Arte Sacra “PIetra Scartata” Florence, Italy.
- 2013-2017 Sacred Art School, Teaching of Drawing (including painting workshop). Florence, Italy.
- 2017 Pre selected for Figurativas 2017. European Mesuem of Modern Art(MEAN). Barcelona, Spain.
- 2016 Premio Winner, International painting competition. Livorno, MissArteModaItalia, 9, September.
Finalist for the Solo Exhibition. Dacia Gallery, NYC. January.
- 2014 The diploma work “Return of the Prodigal Son” (drawing). Purchase Award. Russian Academy of art in Florence.
selected works >>